Wednesday 27 November 2013

The Twelve Dates of Christmas 1&2 by Lisa Dickenson


Claudia is a girl in a rut. At 30, her life is stale and the romance with long-term boyfriend, Seth, has disappeared. Determined to inject some festive spark back into their love life, Claudia and Seth go on their first date in a very long time to the Royal Opera House. But when the night ends in disaster, Claudia suddenly finds herself facing life - and Christmas - alone. 

Life alone is exciting, scary and full of soon-forgotten exercise regimes and ill-advised attempts at crafting sexy underwear. It's also filling up with dates, surprisingly. With best friends Penny and Nick at her side, a surplus of festive markets, mulled wine and Christmas tunes, Claudia attempts to face all this change with gusto. One thing's for certain: this year, Christmas is going to be very different . .


This is the first part of a six part series about Claudia and her twelve dates of Christmas. They are each short stories, each including two of Claudia's dates and I literally whizzed through this one and can't wait to start the next!

Claudia wants to add some romance to her and her boyfriend Seth's life. It has gone a bit stale as of late, so she decides to on a first date with him to put the romance back into their love life. However what Claudia thought would be the revival of their relationship, ends in a complete disaster and she unexpectedly finds herself single. Thankfully Claudia has her awesome friends Penny and Nick to help her and Claudia ends up on the second of her twelve dates of Christmas, and the promise of three more! One thing for certain is that Christmas this year is not going to be what she expected.

I can't believe this is Lisa's debut! It is amazing! The instant I started reading it, I suddenly realised it was the end and I hadn't even got to my final destination on the train! It's just one of those stories that is so easy to get into and it was so funny and manages to easily be so in such a short space of writing.

Claudia is just such a likeable character and I thought her humour and wit was very similar to wonderful author Lisa who I know through twitter. Her best friends Penny and Nick are also really funny and I have already warmed to Nick immensely. Seth is just a complete douchebag and I hope Claudia stays well away from him.

I was feeling very Christmassy whilst reading this with all the talk of mulled wine and keeping warm in Starbucks. I just know that The Twelve Dates of Christmas series is going to have me laughing and feeling incredibly festive. Can't wait for my train journey home to read the second part!

Well done Lisa!

9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS