Tuesday 27 May 2014

The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene


Synopsis

Arthur Winthrop is a middle-aged headmaster at an elite prep school in Vermont. When he is arrested for an act that is incredibly out of character, the strait-laced, married headmaster confesses to a much more serious crime. Arthur reveals that he has had a passionate affair with a scholarship student called Betsy Pappas. But Betsy is a fickle and precocious teenager. When she switches her attentions to a classmate, Arthur's passion for Betsy turns, by degrees, into something far darker. Now Arthur must tell the truth about what happened to Betsy. But can Arthur's version of events be trusted - or is the reality much more complex and unnerving? The Headmaster's Wife is a dark, sinuous and compelling novel about marriage and obsessive love.


Review

I liked this as it managed to completely throw me. I did not expect the outcome I thought was heading my way. I started off reading this thinking that oh yes kind of predictable what will happen, but no. The author manages to completely send you in the wrong direction.

The first half of the story is told from Arthur Winthrop's point of view and you want to know how he managed to get himself into a situation where he is walking naked in the snow. I was gripped by the first part of the story. I liked the little snippets of conversation whilst Arthur is at the police station recounting what has led him up to this point and I wanted to know where the story was going. I was also constantly wondering when his wife would come into the picture, as the title makes you think that she has to come into at some point.

Without wanting to give anything away, I am not entirely sure how I felt about the twist. Initially I thought it was good and it made the story make sense, but I feel maybe the ending could have been different. That said it was still a compelling story that I just easily got into and read very quickly.

An intriguing, compelling novel that I think will capture your attention.

4/5


The Headmaster's Wife is available from Amazon UK and Waterstones


No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS