Wednesday 21 January 2015

Dreams by Daniela Sacerdoti

Title: Dreams
Author: Daniela Sacerdoti
Published: 5th June 2012
Publisher: Black and White Publishing





Review


The cover for Dreams is really striking and having read Daniela's latest adult novel Take Me Home, I was really looking forward to starting her Young Adult trilogy.

Dreams tells the story of Sarah Midnight, a seventeen year old girl who's life is anything but normal. Her parents are demon hunters and one of the many Secret Families that are sworn to protect the world. But when Sarah's parents are killed, her world is turned upside down and she finds herself in imminent danger.

I have a serious love for Young Adult novels and have not surprisingly read a lot of them, yet Daniela's novel still managed to be very different from other stories that I have read. Sarah has dreams that warn her demon attacks. She has lived her whole life in fear and pretty much alone. Her parents were always out fighting demons leaving Sarah at home alone with her nightmare dreams to deal with. You can help but feel for Sarah, she has developed severe anxiety that she trie to deal with her obsessive cleaning. Even though this was sad to read, it made her feel like a real character and more believable. 

Although I did enjoy this, I felt the pace could have been faster. I also wanted more focus on the demon and magic side rather than Sarah's everyday life. I could understand why the author did this, but this is just my opinion.

As with Daniela's last novel Take Me Home, I really liked the occasional splits in character viewpoints. I actually don't think the story would have been as good without them, as at times I did want Sarah's story to progress further. With the different viewpoints you realise just how big Sarah's story is and I am very keen to read the next in the trilogy now. I do have a lot of questions and the ending definitely leaves you wanting more.



      




No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS