Wednesday 3 June 2015

Book Review: The Lie by Cally Taylor

Title: The Lie
Author: Cally Taylor
Published: 23rd April 2015
Publisher: Avon Books




Review


This is one the books that has practically been crying out to be read and I finally got round to reading it on holiday. I was just in the right mood for a thriller and for me this one was absolutely brilliant!

Jane Hughes has come quite a long way since her holiday that turned into a nightmare. She thinks she has finally put that all behind her, that is until she receives a note saying "I know your name's not really Jane Hughes". Everything Jane has built up in the last five years is at risk of crumbling down as someone out there is determined to destroy Jane and everything she loves.

Everything about this is just so intense, there is a constantly tense atmosphere as you really do not know what is going to happen next.

The writing style is brilliant, it's gripping and keeps you turning the pages. I don't think I have read such an addictive thriller in ages. I literally could not stop thinking about this book; it completely and utterly consumed me; I just HAD to know what was going to happen.

I loved the intricacy of the characters that Cally has created in The Lie. None of them are what they appear on the surface and when thrown into a claustrophobic and intense situation, their true colours start to emerge. I was fascinated by how a group of 'friends' may seem like friends on the outside, but underneath there is deeply rooted jealously and hate. It made for some really compelling reading and reminded me of my own, past unhealthy friendships.

This is my first read of Cally's and I can honestly say this is going to be one of my top reads this year. I know Cally previously wrote The Accident and has had much acclaim to it, so that one will now be quickly inching its way up my TBR pile!

This was brilliantly dark, creepy and twisted, with a constantly underlying sinister edge. Everything about this book is addictive, gripping and compelling, I could not put it down.



        

2 comments:

  1. I really love the idea of this book, will definitely be adding it to my TBR pile. Especially as my dream home is in rural Wales ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO good! definitely read if you can :) x

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS