Tuesday 9 June 2015

Book Review: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

TitleA Man Called Ove
AuthorFredrik Backman
Published: 7th May 2015
Publisher: Sceptre



Review

I actually read Frederick Backman's second novel, My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologies first, which I really liked and so it got me curious to read A Man Called Ove and here we are.
I think you can usually tell instantly if you are going to like a book from the very first page and this is exactly what happened with Ove. It starts with a very funny opening scene that had me smiling and laughing to myself and reeled me in straight away.

Upon meeting Ove, you will think he is one of the grumpiest men around. He considers everyone, apart from himself to be complete incompetent idiots. Ans despite being ousted as Chairman of the Residents Association, he still continues his daily inspection around the local area. But Ove is rare in his kind, with his old fashioned beliefs and a lifelong dedication to making every just so. You might just find yourself falling a little bit in love with Ove.

Despite Ove's grumpiness and rudeness to others around him, you very quickly find that underneath all that, he has a heart of gold; even if he won't even admit it to himself! He just likes things to be done right and can't understand why people have to change things. We also get to go back into Ove's past leading up to the present day, which also added to my endearment of him.

This story actually took me longest to read and not because I was anyway bored by it, but because it's one of those stories that you need to take your time over and savour. A Man Called Ove has been really beautifully crafted and I loved reading every minute of it.

A Man Called Ove is ultimately a love story with one person missing and I found it so endearing, but so heartbreaking. Although Ove would have hated it, I really wanted to just give him a great big hug.

This was a truly brilliant tale about true love that completely melted my heart and had me crying so hard at the end.


       
 

1 comment:

  1. My favourite book of last year, I just loved Ove and wished he was one of my neighbours! (Not that my neighbours aren't lovely!)

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS