Wednesday 1 February 2017

Book Review: Caraval by Stephanie Garber



Caraval is where the magic happens. Full of mystery and adventure, everyone wants to play the game and win. Scarlett and her sister Tella have wanted to go to Caraval for so long, so long in fact, Scarlett has been writing letters to the elusive Master Legend, the maker of Caraval for several years. All of which have gone unanswered, until now. Scarlett has been told that everything that happens at Caraval is merely a performance, but things start to feel more real when it's Scarlett's own sister that has been kidnapped as part of the game.

There has been SO much hype around this book that I ended up having to put all my other books aside and get stuck in. The problem with hyped up books though is that your expectations can't help but be exceedingly high and I think this may have been why, that although I really enjoyed it and thought it was a fantastic read, I was somehow sometimes expecting something a little bit more. What that was I don't know, but the hype didn't help on this occasion. 

Stephanie has created a brilliant world packed full of magic and mystery- my perfect kind of world. I loved the descriptions and the place setting and how she used colour and smell to describe thoughts and feelings. I thought it was wonderful. It was so easy to imagine that you were also one of the players and thinking about the decisions you would make along the way.

This story felt very unique, but at the same time reminding me of my all time favourite books The Night Circus. So if you liked that, you will definitely enjoy Caraval. 

Caraval finished on a VERY intriguing ending. It's safe to say it will leave you wanting more. Fantastical, magical and engrossing, Caraval was a great read.



Caraval is out now

2 comments:

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS